December 23, 2014

SBS or SBSAR?

Am I sharing sbs or sbsar files? that's the questions I've asked myself once I've decided to create this blog. Do i keep my "little tricks" secret or should i just take part of the community? Honestly, that's not an easy one to answer. I've decided to share as much as i can hoping that it'll come back to me. Whether is just gratitude or else.

Obviously, if i create something at work, for my project, it will stay at work. It's the property of my employer. But when i'm fiddling at home, that's a different story. I've understood long ago that it's not the trick that's important, it's the road you've taken to solve it. I can give you all (well, most) my secrets, if I was the one who solved it, I'm already ahead. Some people just apply recipes, some create them. It's that simple.

Years ago, I've studied Quake 3 textures. I couldn't wrap my mind around how they've created textures so awesome (to this day, I still think they are beyond amazing...). Once I got what seems to be the workflow/technique they were using, I kept it for myself for a while.  People at work liked what i was doing. Then, someone at work asked me to prepare some kind of expose for my fellow texture artists. I struggled. I feared I would be left behind. Eventually, I've decided to go forward and show them what the hell I was doing. Turns out they all find it very interesting, even got something from it to add to their workflow But I still had a better understanding of it all. Why? Because I've searched for it. Because, even if i cant really explain it, i "got it".

You can take my stuff, open it in Designer, change the author field, and brag about it at work. But I "got it". I'm already ahead. I hope you guys will take part of the conversation, because once we bounce ideas on each others, once we brainstorm together, we're all better in the end.

Let's share our ideas.

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment